Translate

Friday, May 17, 2013

Oh The Humanity!

Disclaimer: I'm going to piss some people off with this post. You've been warned.

All day, every day, people complain about their rights being infringed upon. Whether it's women's rights, gay rights, racial rights, etc., someone always has a beef. I have a nice clean solution to this: Human Rights.

Regardless of sex, race, preference, or whatever group you happen to belong to, we as humans should have the same rights. I'm a firm believer in the fact that everyone should earn their way and shouldn't rely on some loophole or handout to make it through life. I don't think the government or anyone else should help or hurt anyone based on their genetic makeup or lifestyle choices. If you want to do something, and it's within a fair and just set of laws, you should be able to.

Now, I know that this is based in a mythical world where prejudice, sexism, and general blind hate don't exist. I'm not saying that this will ever work in our goofy society, but it is food for thought. Hear me out.

I think affirmative action and equal opportunity are complete bullshit, and are flawed at their base levels. They are both based in very good ideals, but the crimes committed under the guise of either of these systems are horrendous. The fact is, that neither of these systems should exist, because it should be common practice by now. However, some people are handcuffed unfairly by these programs because they don't fit under their umbrella. I don't think that's fair to the people left out, and to the people who are "protected" by these programs. If you made it level footing for everyone, I think that the people of the world would be a lot less focused on having their rights stepped on, and more focused on creating an equal society.

Here's how my idea works. Everyone is equal. Regardless of race, gender, or whatever, you get the exact same rights. That means that there is no limits on who you marry, what job you can do, or anything at all. A woman wants to marry another woman, serve in the special operations branch of the military, and wants to do anything else in life that is usually not permitted to a woman? Let her. Let everyone do all of the things that they have not been allowed to do because of their color, sex, or who they choose to sleep with. I think that it will cause things to become a lot less tense, and really give way to a better society. We always have someone stepping on someone else's toes because of their rights, but if everyone had the same rights, no one would have anything to complain about. I feel for each group's struggles. I know I am a straight white male, and don't fit into any of them, but I think it's terrible that everyone isn't afforded the same opportunities.

Here's what I think about each group.

On the subject of gay rights, I have this to say: I appreciate and understand your struggle. I think it is unfair to have benefits and rights denied to you based on the fact that our government is holding on to a religiously based viewpoint of marriage, which is unconstitutional. Marriage should not be seen as the union between a man and a woman, but as a union between two humans. Therefore, you should be afforded the same rights and benefits as when a man and a woman are wed. I am friends with several gay people, and I want them to be able to have benefits for their families and loved ones, just like I would. They deserve it. I don't think gay people should be denied anything based on whom they choose to love. It's not our right to judge anyone based on that, and I refuse to get in to the Bible argument over this. They are people, and deserve the same rights.

Women: You should be able to do whatever job or career you want. You should have every opportunity afforded to men. I do not view women as the weaker sex. I never have. I was raised to see everyone equally. Therefore, the fact that women are not allowed to do certain things, is asinine to me. I know a lot of women who are incredibly strong, and could outwork any man. They should never be treated as substandard to men. I think it's sad that women have always had to fight and claw to be seen as even with men. Just remember boys, without a woman, you wouldn't be here, and you probably almost killed her coming out. However, she made it through, and raised you, and that takes a lot of strength. How dare anyone say that they aren't strong enough to do the toughest of jobs? Sure, not every woman could do that, but neither could every man. Someone should never be discriminated on because they don't have a penis.

Race: The color of your skin or how you look doesn't matter. In this day and age, people of all colors and ethnicities are working together at every level of society. The fact that racism is still an issue isn't because of the racists. Sure, a lot of people still harbor ill will towards certain groups. It's because they don't know any better. But when you look at the scope of things, racism is perpetuated by the racial groups to keep alive the thought that they are being repressed. If anyone is being repressed, it's done by themselves. I think that in 2013, with as progressive as our society has become, racism is functionally obsolete. I have several friends who have become very successful in their lives and made something of themselves, and they are black. They didn't make excuses or try and hide behind their race. They just went for their goals, and got them. I am so tired of hearing that people are being racially profiled. I'm so tired of people being hateful to each other based on centuries of past bigotry. Let it go. Be defined by what you do, and not the color of your skin. A lazy ass, ignorant, delinquent hooligan is exactly that. They aren't white, black, red, yellow, or purple. They are defined, in my eyes, by their actions. If the world viewed people by that and not the color of their skin, racism would be dead and gone, as it should have been years ago. Oh and if people would stop using it as a fucking excuse.

So, back to my point. If the world was based on human rights, instead of the idea that the straight white man has all the rights, and everyone else is playing catch up, then it would be a much better place. I don't care if you're a man or a woman, gay or straight, black or white. If you earn your way in this world, and want to be treated fairly, I support you, and say everyone should be treated that way.

Human rights: the practical solution that will never work. Why? Because too much self interest is involved in keeping those dividing lines intact. If everyone was equal, then nobody would be better, and no one would have anything to fight about, and our fucked up society can't have that nonsense. It's a sad sad truth. Maybe if we did what Bill said in Bill & Ted's Excellent adventure, then the world would be a much better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment